Life at an Intersection

Chicago Phoenix, indemnity bonds, journaling, really really really want a zigazig ah, travel, books, travel books, relationships, values. It is hard to pinpoint precisely, but I'd say about 82% of what you read here is true. The rest is fictional nonfiction.

Sunday, February 17, 2008

Hole in My Head

Yesterday I deleted my MySpace account. I was a little sentimental about it actually; it is a site that I visited almost daily for the last three and a half years, and it was a lot of fun back in the day and while it lasted. Lately nothing much was happening except for updates from people that I don't really want or need to be updated about; I guess the focus for people has really shifted to Facebook. And I'm not going there. That decision was reaffirmed for me today when my mother told me that her sister has joined there and was looking for me. Love my aunt, but yikes! That's weird.

Today's some kind of freakish spring day outside. The temperature hit 50 degrees this afternoon; it isn't supposed to be above freezing here in mid-February. The sidewalks of people too inconsiderate to shovel are melting, though, so that is nice.

One reason to vote for Barack Obama that I think is continually undervalued: The United States has a long way to go in making reparations to the world for the damage that George W. Bush hath wrought in the last eight years. I mean that in a physical sense, war damage and all that, but more fully in a spiritual and emotional one. Electing a kind, empathic, inspiring leader, a multiracial but fully American man who better reflects the values and identity of our country than the 42 white men who came before him could help shift perceptions of America abroad alot. Hearts and minds, what? Many conservatives balk at the idea of doing anything to court the favor or impress the natives of other continents and nations, and would never even allow that as consideration in an election like this. But those seem to be the same people that have no qualms about moving unilaterally in foreign policy and defense; hubris and arrogance are terms unknown to them. They would, like their beloved President Bush, succeed only in isolating our country further.

I haven't, I hope, been very secretive about my admiration and support for Barack Obama in this election. I haven't written about it too much, though, because I find that some of my reasons for supporting him are difficult to explain or overly simplistic. And also because I didn't get to vote for him in the primary here. Not that it mattered too much; he won Illinois two to one over Mrs. Clinton.

I hope that you have a Trader Joe's store. The food from there is so good! Last night we had their green curry tuna with rice, and it tasted just like perfect Thai curry! I was amazed. We got some frozen naan bread, too, and it was excellent. According to the packages, the curry was actually from Thailand, and the naan was actually made in India, so I'm sure that makes a difference in the quality. Some of the food at Trader Joe's is a bit steep in price, but last night's meal was a bargain at about $5 total for the two of us. As a chronic penny-pincher, I have to give credit to Kevin for showing me that spending a little more on groceries can make for a drastic improvement in quality and healthfulness, too.

Currently Listening:
"Wincing the Night Away" by The Shins

1 comments:

Liza February 18, 2008 at 6:07 AM  

I'm jealous of your Trader Joe's. I wish we had one closer than Atlanta. It is really a great store. I want to try the Naan. I looooove Naan. To be able to have it at home would be wonderful!

Speaking of stores we don't have here, I am told that H&M is coming to Atlanta. Very soon actually. I'm also told that Macy's is coming to Chattanooga. Macy's doesn't excite me all that much. Having an H&M so close does.

Twitter / Davie_St

Words That I'm Living By - 5/2/2010

Time, as I've known it
Doesn't take much time to pass by me
Minutes into days, turn into months
Turn into years, they hurry by me
But still I love to see the sun go down
And the world go around

Dreams full of promises
Hopes for the future, I've had many
Dreams I can't remember now
Hopes that I've forgotten,
faded memories
But still I love to see the sun go down
And the world go around

And I love to see the morning
as it steals across the sky
I love to remember and
I love to wonder why
And I hope that I'm around
so I can be there when I die
When I'm gone

I hope that you will think of me
In moments when you're happy and you're smiling
That the thought will comfort you
On cold and cloudy days
if you are crying
And that you'll love to see
the sun go down
And the world go around
And around and around

"Around and Around" by Mark Kozelek

  © Blogger template 'Photoblog' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 | Distributed by Creative Artworkof Fractal Enlightenment

Back to TOP