Life at an Intersection

Chicago Phoenix, indemnity bonds, journaling, really really really want a zigazig ah, travel, books, travel books, relationships, values. It is hard to pinpoint precisely, but I'd say about 82% of what you read here is true. The rest is fictional nonfiction.

Friday, March 14, 2008

India, Terror, Consequence, Disillusionment, Frailty, Silence

Fridays are just, wow, so good now. I went ice skating again, and for the last time, this afternoon after work. Just when I was getting pretty good, season's over! And by "good" I mean I didn't fall down at all. Go me!

I had to return the microwave that my parents got me for Christmas to Target last week. The door latch was stubborn, and I wasn't taking any guff. I thought I would upgrade to something a little more powerful, too, like something that didn't take 6 minutes for a bag of popcorn. Being the ridiculously thorough and thrifty shopper that I am, I decided to wait for a new week and a new sale before getting a replacement. I AM STARVING. I have managed, spoiled brat, to live almost my entire life with one of these wonderful, quick-witted/watted devices always at my beck and call. This week I've visited both of our local Target stores, trying to get plugged in again now that a model that I like is on sale. Sold out, of course. But cereal for dinner is always a winner.

I've been feeling lots of jealousy lately. That is a bad emotion; I can sense its amoeba movements, its pseudopods trying to package little parts of my soul into vacuoles for slow digestion. I need those parts of my soul, the outer edge. The tough stuff, protection. Back, jealousy! Back!

Got my first paycheck today. Painfully small.

I wish that Hillary Clinton would just go away. She is a very unfortunate person, and I think that she is supremely selfish. Selfishness really bothers me. It is my belief that many, or most, of the world's, and my world's, problems are caused by selfishness. In a bit of deconstructionist irony, though, I see selfishness everywhere all day long, and call it such, mostly in my mind. That makes me a judgmental person, which is a very selfish way to live, too. I am aware of my selfishness, though. And other people's, too.

This morning as I was ascending to work, I saw on the elevator TV a picture of the space house on Signal Mountain and a blurb that said it is going to be auctioned off tomorrow! If you aren't from Chattanooga, that makes no sense at all and you don't care, which I thought also made it kind of a weird thing to be on the Chicago elevator TV channel with all the stock quotes and business news and weather forecasts. But I couldn't help myself, I had to say, "Hey! That's in my hometown!" And this guy says to me, "Have you seen that house before?" And I was like, "Yeah, it is pretty well-known in Chattanooga." And this girl was like, "You're from Chatterblurg-huh?" And I was like, "Um, yeah."

On Wednesday morning I listened to Alanis on the train to work. Something about it made me so happy, just bursting with happiness. I smiled so much that morning, at strangers, at fellow commuters; it felt like I absolutely HAD to be happy. The sun, and the fact that I could take off my gloves and hat in the train, and the music that meant something, that carried actual thoughts and feelings and grown-up words, emotions ohmygosh, and I wrote her a Thank You note in my head that I will never send because fan mail? No.

Currently Watching:
Scrubs, Season 2

2 comments:

Liza March 23, 2008 at 8:48 PM  

I had cereal for dinner tonight. Frosted Flakes.

Liza August 28, 2008 at 9:36 PM  

It took a few months, but you officially got your wish about Hillary Clinton. Unless, of course, you meant an actual going away forever, to never return. But if you just meant as a candidate in this particular race, then your wish has come true.

Twitter / Davie_St

Words That I'm Living By - 5/2/2010

Time, as I've known it
Doesn't take much time to pass by me
Minutes into days, turn into months
Turn into years, they hurry by me
But still I love to see the sun go down
And the world go around

Dreams full of promises
Hopes for the future, I've had many
Dreams I can't remember now
Hopes that I've forgotten,
faded memories
But still I love to see the sun go down
And the world go around

And I love to see the morning
as it steals across the sky
I love to remember and
I love to wonder why
And I hope that I'm around
so I can be there when I die
When I'm gone

I hope that you will think of me
In moments when you're happy and you're smiling
That the thought will comfort you
On cold and cloudy days
if you are crying
And that you'll love to see
the sun go down
And the world go around
And around and around

"Around and Around" by Mark Kozelek

  © Blogger template 'Photoblog' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 | Distributed by Creative Artworkof Fractal Enlightenment

Back to TOP