Life at an Intersection

Chicago Phoenix, indemnity bonds, journaling, really really really want a zigazig ah, travel, books, travel books, relationships, values. It is hard to pinpoint precisely, but I'd say about 82% of what you read here is true. The rest is fictional nonfiction.

Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Roscoe Village People

Photobucket

Some spring not-so-wild-flowers I stumbled by today. Their blue was brilliant, and I loved how they were escaping and taking over the sidewalk and surroundings.

Things are going well at my new job. Yesterday was another first day; I finished training last week and was assigned back for good to the branch where I worked a couple of weeks ago. The branch manager, in his welcoming, here's-the-rules rant, told me that if it was up to him I would have to shave every day, but since his boss "looks like me" (meaning doesn't shave for a week, also? or is a white guy?) he can't expect any different from me. I was impressed with his relative open-mindedness and flexibility, since he's from a country where "men like me" are probably either persecuted or executed. I got the 19 year-old Mexican-American wife and mother who is my supervisor to warm up to me a little, too. Personality-wise, she should be good for some sparks. She ended a phone call with her husband yesterday by saying, "Ok, I love you, goodbye, you fuckin' Puerto Rican." Ah, teenagers trapped in a loveless, crisis pregnancy-induced marriage. So romantic.

We had a fun security scare yesterday, too. An emergency call came in for our manager, who for future reference shares a name with the Great Prophet (may his name be ever praised), at just before noon saying that the branch of our bank nearest our location, actually just six blocks up the street, had just been robbed. It caused quite the scramble, and a little bit of whimpering from one of the other bank employees. Oh, who am I kidding? That was me hiding under the counter and crying softly.

Photobucket

This was - hopefully - the last snowman of winter. I snapped this one while walking to Target on March 22. I call it, "Frosty had bitch tits." Don't be offended; rent Fight Club again, commit it to memory, and become a better person, like me! We've had more than enough late-season snow and cold temperatures this winter. Hopefully it is over now for good.

Did you hear about the cougar that was shot and killed here in Chicago yesterday evening? Such a crazy thing. On my way home from work last night I was waiting for my second bus, and noticed a couple of news and police helicopters hovering a few blocks away. I guess this wild cat had been stalking and gallivanting around the neighborhood of Roscoe Village for most of the day yesterday, and police finally cornered it and had to kill it.

Not coincidentally, I think - the bank that was robbed yesterday? Also in Roscoe Village. Did the cougar rob the bank? Did the bank robber loose the cougar after the robbery to cover his tracks? Did the bank robber transmogrify into a cougar? Regardless, it was certainly the most exciting day ever in Roscoe Village.

My computer died a horrible death last night. I had just settled down to catch up on blogs and emails and was listening to a little Mindy Smith in the background. When I went to click on an email from my dad, a ridiculously fear-mongering Fox News-type email as it turns out, just as Ms. Smith reached for a high note, the old boy rebelled. Everything locked up, and you know how sometimes a digital music file will get stuck and repeat a little clip? Well, Mindy Smith's voice turned into a fire alarm we-re-we-re-we-re-we-re, so I reached for the power button pretty quickly. After I gave it a few seconds of rest, I tried to reboot, but the darn thing wouldn't load up Windows, just trapped in some kind of endless rebooting loop. Anyway, long story short, I had to do one of those desperate system salvage thingys and completely start over from scratch. My last external hard drive backup was more than a month ago, so I lost more than I want to think about right now. It is frustrating to start over again, downloading programs and plug-ins and making new bookmarks and all those million little inconvenient things. I am glad, though, that it was able to be resuscitated, since this is not a good time for another major expense.

Hope you are doing well! Spring. Ah.

Currently Reading:
The World Is Flat by Thomas Friedman

2 comments:

Liza April 16, 2008 at 9:35 AM  

I was not offended, but somehow I feel that command to rent Fight Club again was for me.

Anonymous April 21, 2008 at 10:36 PM  

I knew. Sometimes- when I used to blog- I'd throw in an obscure Fight Club allusion and I knew you'd be the only other person to get it. Shocking with Fight Club quotations is more fun than selling rich women's fat asses back to them....

Twitter / Davie_St

Words That I'm Living By - 5/2/2010

Time, as I've known it
Doesn't take much time to pass by me
Minutes into days, turn into months
Turn into years, they hurry by me
But still I love to see the sun go down
And the world go around

Dreams full of promises
Hopes for the future, I've had many
Dreams I can't remember now
Hopes that I've forgotten,
faded memories
But still I love to see the sun go down
And the world go around

And I love to see the morning
as it steals across the sky
I love to remember and
I love to wonder why
And I hope that I'm around
so I can be there when I die
When I'm gone

I hope that you will think of me
In moments when you're happy and you're smiling
That the thought will comfort you
On cold and cloudy days
if you are crying
And that you'll love to see
the sun go down
And the world go around
And around and around

"Around and Around" by Mark Kozelek

  © Blogger template 'Photoblog' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 | Distributed by Creative Artworkof Fractal Enlightenment

Back to TOP