Life at an Intersection

Chicago Phoenix, indemnity bonds, journaling, really really really want a zigazig ah, travel, books, travel books, relationships, values. It is hard to pinpoint precisely, but I'd say about 82% of what you read here is true. The rest is fictional nonfiction.

Thursday, January 8, 2009

Photobucket
(One of the 8x10s)

What a roller coaster of a day!


+2 I woke up,
+5 put a load of new (+3 Christmas present!) towels in the laundry downstairs,
+3 placed my Netflix disc in the mailbox on the street corner,
+3 and walked to McDonald's for breakfast.
-4 The lady sitting two seats down from me was slurping her coffee like it was the most delicious soup ever.
+1 I walked home, moved my towels into the dryer,
+6 and made the most awesome playlist of forgotten and neglected songs from my mp3 library.
-17 I went to the dryer to find that, after 75 minutes, my towels were all still entirely damp.
-5 I hung towels in front of my heater and all over my apartment,
+100 and then I received a phone call from my apartment landlords telling me that they have decided to credit me with $400 of rent for the 20 days that I went without heat this fall and winter. Wow! Best settlement ever. I mean, I asked for some credit, but I didn't expect that much.

+5 I cut out all of my coupons, bundled up, and headed for the grocery store.
+4 I found nearly everything that I wanted
-2 except hot dog relish for less than $2 and sliced cheese for less than $4.
-15 The cashier rang all of my coupons for 1 cent each, became flustered, had to get help, and took a good 10 minutes to complete my sale. Embarrassing!
+5 I successfully made light of the situation with the girl who was unfortunately in line behind me. I acknowledged ruining her life, and she agreed that I had, but forgave me.

+3 I left the grocery store a sweaty mess,
+5 but the train came right away!
+10 I picked up the mail on the way back inside, and received a lovely letter from an old friend and the 8x10 photo enlargements that I ordered last week.
+10 The photos look great!
+8 I ordered a humidifier
+9 in the shape of a penguin from Amazon.com in order to stop
-20 my nightly nosebleeds and
-10 itchy, dry winter skin.

+5 I packed my skates, bundled up again, and headed downtown for the evening.
+6 The train came right away again!
-5 But everyone on the train looked tired, haggard, angry, or smelly. No eye candy there.
-25 When I got to the skating rink, I found it, quite literally, crawling with pre-teens, suburban moms, and Asian tourists. The rink was so crowded, and everyone was skating so badly, tripping, falling, tearing up the ice, that I skated for less than 30 minutes before giving up in disgust.
-40 I realized that I am the grumpiest old 29 year old man in the world. "Darn kids..." etc.
+3 I headed towards State Street to check out the January sales at some of my favorite stores,
-75 and received a text message from my new friend that he is leaving Chicago tonight and won't be back for a long time.
+25 See, he actually lives in New York City,
+10 but works in Chicago all week, when we hang out,
-25 and goes home to New York for the weekends.
-50 And now his work is transferring him to a new project that is not in Chicago. Bye, new friend!

-12 I browsed a while but didn't find anything to buy,
+12 but I also didn't spend any money.
+5 The train came quickly! What a streak of luck!
+3 And there was a couple of cute guys inside.
+15 Looking out the train window, I saw a guy playing with his two large dogs in the snow, doing something that looked a lot like a jumping group hug with them. Fun!
+3 I got home,
+6 Amazon has shipped my humidifier,
+10 and my towels are finally dry.

Just returned to Netflix:
Scrubs, Season 7, Disc 1

2 comments:

Liza January 9, 2009 at 8:06 AM  

I feel like I was there with you! Thanks for sharing your day :)

Also, I still love that picture! Is it weird for me to name it one of my favorite pictures, when I had absolutely nothing to do with it? Maybe. I just think it's really a great one.

Anonymous January 14, 2009 at 7:15 PM  

boy, do I love you.

Twitter / Davie_St

Words That I'm Living By - 5/2/2010

Time, as I've known it
Doesn't take much time to pass by me
Minutes into days, turn into months
Turn into years, they hurry by me
But still I love to see the sun go down
And the world go around

Dreams full of promises
Hopes for the future, I've had many
Dreams I can't remember now
Hopes that I've forgotten,
faded memories
But still I love to see the sun go down
And the world go around

And I love to see the morning
as it steals across the sky
I love to remember and
I love to wonder why
And I hope that I'm around
so I can be there when I die
When I'm gone

I hope that you will think of me
In moments when you're happy and you're smiling
That the thought will comfort you
On cold and cloudy days
if you are crying
And that you'll love to see
the sun go down
And the world go around
And around and around

"Around and Around" by Mark Kozelek

  © Blogger template 'Photoblog' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 | Distributed by Creative Artworkof Fractal Enlightenment

Back to TOP