Life at an Intersection

Chicago Phoenix, indemnity bonds, journaling, really really really want a zigazig ah, travel, books, travel books, relationships, values. It is hard to pinpoint precisely, but I'd say about 82% of what you read here is true. The rest is fictional nonfiction.

Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Just So Typically Me...

I've had two interviews in the last six weeks.

Interview #1 - Regular teller position at kind corporate bank "W," most likely an easy, phone-it-in type job, with decent starting wages and located in a nice (read: not rent affordable) neighborhood. While I probably can't afford to live right around the corner, the northside of Chicago is where I want to live, and this is a great place in the general area. It's a job with a large corporation, but they are maybe like the bank equivalent of Whole Foods Market or something (you know, "Best Companies to Work For," give employees time off and pay for volunteer work - slightly oxymoronic, but cool - a kinder/gentler/funner corporate world, etc). They offered me the position last week; I told them that I would let them know today because just days before I had...

Interview #2 - A small, Illinois-only credit union, "CU2," this branch located on the campus of the UIC (so convenient for taking classes after work!). It is a supervisory position with wages that come to $4,000 more per year than Bank W, but is located south of the city in an area that wouldn't be a fun place to live and would make for a very undesirable daily commute. That is actually a pretty big factor for me; I can't imagine being happy spending 2 hours on the bus every day.

To sum it up, after interviewing I wasn't completely sold on either job, there are plenty more pros and cons for each position. But Bank W did offer me work last week, and I did buy myself some time to hear from CU2 or score another interview from the billions of kilobytes of resumes that I've spread throughout Chicagoland. Well, my time was up today, so I called Bank W this afternoon at 3 o'clock and accepted the position.

CU2, naturally, called me at 4:30 to offer me the job with them.

While I wouldn't feel bad for more than, say, a week about flaking on Bank W and going with the better money (let's be realistic, neither job is actually offering to pay me a sustainable, adult wage), there are a lot of reasons to stick with the first offer and say that hour and a half means something, it was like, destiny, man. If they had called me this morning, well, who knows! (I do actually, it would be the same dillema but on a different timeline.)

Big boy that I am, I called my mother immediately and began to whine about how my life is so rotten and difficult. Not really, but it is kind of hilarious how I couldn't get hired to kill myself for almost two months, and then I have two viable options with two long lists of pros and cons assault me in the same afternoon.

Sigh.

Currently Listening:
"Cassadega" by Bright Eyes

1 comments:

Liza February 20, 2008 at 9:17 PM  

Wow! So much happened very shortly after I talked to you!

Twitter / Davie_St

Words That I'm Living By - 5/2/2010

Time, as I've known it
Doesn't take much time to pass by me
Minutes into days, turn into months
Turn into years, they hurry by me
But still I love to see the sun go down
And the world go around

Dreams full of promises
Hopes for the future, I've had many
Dreams I can't remember now
Hopes that I've forgotten,
faded memories
But still I love to see the sun go down
And the world go around

And I love to see the morning
as it steals across the sky
I love to remember and
I love to wonder why
And I hope that I'm around
so I can be there when I die
When I'm gone

I hope that you will think of me
In moments when you're happy and you're smiling
That the thought will comfort you
On cold and cloudy days
if you are crying
And that you'll love to see
the sun go down
And the world go around
And around and around

"Around and Around" by Mark Kozelek

  © Blogger template 'Photoblog' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 | Distributed by Creative Artworkof Fractal Enlightenment

Back to TOP