Life at an Intersection

Chicago Phoenix, indemnity bonds, journaling, really really really want a zigazig ah, travel, books, travel books, relationships, values. It is hard to pinpoint precisely, but I'd say about 82% of what you read here is true. The rest is fictional nonfiction.

Thursday, March 12, 2009

Can't Go Back Now

Photobucket

I've never seen white people drinking beer on the bus before. So I had to take a picture.

Before I decided that it was okay to post that, I made a flowchart of how to determine is a comment like that is racist or not. Is is true? Yes. Then, is it funny? Yes. Then, is it mean-spirited? No. Then, is it outright offensive? No. Then say it.

It is snowing here today, tiny, sparkling snow somewhere between glitter and the tiniest down feathers that escape from my insulated vest. It swirls and shines and falls and disappears.

I sat at Starbucks for several hours earlier today, one up in the Andersonville neighborhood that I chose specifically because it gets several Missed Connections a week on Craigslist. I think that all of the attractive coffee drinkers must have been taking the day off from being attractive coffee drinkers today, though.

Whenever I get a drink at Starbucks or Caribou or wherever, I have to have the opening of the lid positioned directly above the cup's main logo before I take a drink. Then I adjust the sleeve so that it is centered as well.

Also, did you notice that Starbucks is calling its new product Via "ready brew"? It is instant coffee, folks. I hate manipulative marketing word play like that.

Last night I watched No Country for Old Men. It is a jarring movie. Some great, priceless dialogue and populated with wonderful incidental characters, but the violence was too much. I haven't jumped that many times while watching a movie in a long time.

I've been thinking about getting a dog once I make my big move to Savannah later this year. There was a cover story in our commuter newspaper earlier this week on this popular-in-Chicago breed called Vizsla (pronounced veez-shlah). What a beautiful dog! It is an active breed, too, so that would have to motivate me to get outside and exercise a bit. Space is always an issue though in the micro-apartments where I seem to find myself living. Dogs need a yard, too.

Speaking of Savannah, I'm dreading the thought of getting a car and dealing with all those hassels and expenses once again, but it is a foregone conclusion that I'll need one once I leave Chicago. What a difficult modern world we've made for ourselves.

And one final Savannah note, one of my favorite singers, Ryan Adams, just married that interesting former teen pop star Mandy Moore in a wedding ceremony there. I thought that was surprising, but I'm not sure why since I don't really know either of them.

And I was reading in an old issue of Paste the other day that The Weepies and Mandy Moore collaborated on some songwriting for her most recent record. Which leads me to say once again that I simply can't get enough of The Weepies CD Hideaway. What a fantastic group of songs that is.

This is the most interesting thing that I've read about Christianity, religion, or faith in a long time. How different our country will be if even parts of it come true. I'm interested to hear what you think about it, and my dad, too.

Once upon a time, I took a very nice Spring Break trip to the beach, half of which I spent in lovely solitary repose, and half of which I shared with two wonderful friends. You know how the late night conversation tends to stray to the outlyings of ridiculousness when you are with certain people, and eventually there's no accounting for where it goes? Well, one friend asked a legendarily mind-numbing question that went something like this: if you could have sex with someone's voice, with what person's voice would you attempt carnal relations? My answer was Chris Cornell, former lead singer of Soundgarden and Audioslave, a man who released a solo album this week titled, Scream. From what I can tell, though, that new album is terrible. Some sort of wanna-be techno, hip-hop, new wave synthetic mess. I couldn't even cough up the $2.99 that the Amazon mp3 Store wanted for it this week. Judging by the equal number of 1-star and 5-star user ratings that it has received, I'm glad that I didn't.

I've started planning my annual Memorial Day getaway this week. I think I'm going to strech it into a full week's vacation this year. There is one really exciting option that I have my sights set on at this moment, but I'm not sure of the wisdom of taking such a trip at this juncture when I should be saving pennies for going back to school and the poor student life that lies ahead. But then again, airfares may not be this cheap again any time soon, and it is a place that I've wanted to go for quite a while now. For the time being, I'll probably just keep an eye on it.

Women and Children First is a terrible name for a bookstore or establishment of any kind, other than the possible exception of a lifeboat manufacturing company. Half of your potential customer base is alienated right from the get-go. Boo.

When did Under Armour become the new North Face? Everything that I see is Under Armour.

Currently Listening to:
The Weepies, Hideaway



2 comments:

Anonymous March 12, 2009 at 6:45 PM  

I have that same problem with my hot drink cups. Nearly incapable of drinking if everything isn't lined up. And I feel secretly annoyed at the coffee people that they can't take the 2 extra seconds to line it up for me. I'm always glad to know other people are equally as neurotic as me.

Liza March 12, 2009 at 9:53 PM  

I just can't believe that Starbucks is pushing instant coffee. Gross.

I jumped a lot in No Country too. But that movie comes to mind more often than I thought it would.

I read about Ryan Adams and Mandy Moore and also found it surprising. But the only thing I know of Ryan Adams is that you like him.

I haven't read the article yet. I will get back to you.

Are you changing your answer to the sex with a voice question?

Come here for Memorial Day week. Please.

Twitter / Davie_St

Words That I'm Living By - 5/2/2010

Time, as I've known it
Doesn't take much time to pass by me
Minutes into days, turn into months
Turn into years, they hurry by me
But still I love to see the sun go down
And the world go around

Dreams full of promises
Hopes for the future, I've had many
Dreams I can't remember now
Hopes that I've forgotten,
faded memories
But still I love to see the sun go down
And the world go around

And I love to see the morning
as it steals across the sky
I love to remember and
I love to wonder why
And I hope that I'm around
so I can be there when I die
When I'm gone

I hope that you will think of me
In moments when you're happy and you're smiling
That the thought will comfort you
On cold and cloudy days
if you are crying
And that you'll love to see
the sun go down
And the world go around
And around and around

"Around and Around" by Mark Kozelek

  © Blogger template 'Photoblog' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 | Distributed by Creative Artworkof Fractal Enlightenment

Back to TOP