Life at an Intersection

Chicago Phoenix, indemnity bonds, journaling, really really really want a zigazig ah, travel, books, travel books, relationships, values. It is hard to pinpoint precisely, but I'd say about 82% of what you read here is true. The rest is fictional nonfiction.

Wednesday, November 4, 2009

PDX

I'm in Portland! This is a fairly recent development.

First impressions:

*Girl at the decadent desert cafe plopping down a table away from us, typing on a tiny little typewriter with a clack-clack-clack. So counterculture retro chic. So funny. Kudos to her. It was poetry: her typing, and what she was typing.

*The houses in Liza's neighborhood are completely endearing. They are a bit frumpy, a bit unkempt and rough around the edges, not at all the preening, overly manicured homes of the pretentious eastern half of America. They are rich in experience. They have seen better, newer days, and are more loved for these memories that they hold.

*Approximatley 66.7% of the men here have beards. I've already seen 3 or 4 ramshackle Volkswagon vans. Stereotypes exist for a reason.

*I am eating really fantastic food at a fairly rapid rate. Liza and Fred Pierce's famous chili last night, aforementioned mind-blowingly decadend desert at Pix, one of the finest breakfasts of my life this morning at New Deal, and something fabulous and a bit difficult to describe from a food cart for lunch this afternoon. I may gain a pound or two of ass here, which could potentially make the plane ride home more comfortable.

Much more excitement - and food photos! - still to come.

Currently Reading:
Love in the Time of Cholera by Gabriel Garcia Marquez

2 comments:

Liza November 5, 2009 at 8:11 PM  

I would just like to point out that the food and bearded men are two of the top reasons I moved here.

Liza January 16, 2010 at 9:03 PM  

I'm ready for you to come back.

Twitter / Davie_St

Words That I'm Living By - 5/2/2010

Time, as I've known it
Doesn't take much time to pass by me
Minutes into days, turn into months
Turn into years, they hurry by me
But still I love to see the sun go down
And the world go around

Dreams full of promises
Hopes for the future, I've had many
Dreams I can't remember now
Hopes that I've forgotten,
faded memories
But still I love to see the sun go down
And the world go around

And I love to see the morning
as it steals across the sky
I love to remember and
I love to wonder why
And I hope that I'm around
so I can be there when I die
When I'm gone

I hope that you will think of me
In moments when you're happy and you're smiling
That the thought will comfort you
On cold and cloudy days
if you are crying
And that you'll love to see
the sun go down
And the world go around
And around and around

"Around and Around" by Mark Kozelek

  © Blogger template 'Photoblog' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 | Distributed by Creative Artworkof Fractal Enlightenment

Back to TOP